Wednesday 30 September 2015

Interview with Shome Dasgupta, author of The Sea Singer

Hello, readers! Today I have another author interview for you, this time with the wonderful Shome Dasgupta, author of The Sea Singer- a beautifully haunting novel about small-town lives and a singing baby who cannot sleep. Intrigued? Here's the blurb:

March is born in April, just as the sun is setting. A singing baby who can't sleep, she sets Kolkaper on edge. The town council orders the Scientists to take her away and study her, maybe send her to the cave forest, a place for freaks like her. Acting quickly, March's parents and their friends, the Medallions, thwart those plans, sending the baby away to the distant town of Koofay. But March's destiny is tied to that of Kolkaper's. She must return to save the city from itself. An enchanting fable about love and faith and accepting the odd ones among us.

As soon as I heard about this book from Accent Press I knew I wanted to know more, and am delighted to have the opportunity to host Shome Dasgupta on my blog for an interview! I asked Shome all about writing inspiration, his favourite childhood books, and how he thinks books can change the world...

When did you first start writing?

I think I first started to write, as in trying to write poetry or short stories just to try out those creative forms, when I was around 13 or 14 years old. And while I was in college I started to write more regularly and studied various authors to gain a better understanding of the craft of writing.

What was your favourite book as a child?

I had a few—I don’t think I could just name one; however, if I had to, it would be The Giving Tree.

But other books I loved to read repeatedly were Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, The Hardy Boys series, The Wind in the Willows, and The Famous Five and Secret Seven series.

Where do you get inspiration from to write?

I always have difficulty answering this question. I guess from a variety of sources. I know I started to write just for creative outlets and because I wanted to write stories and poems influenced by my favorite authors. Other sources of inspiration come from my family and friends as well as reading the works of others whether in journals or in book form.

Do you think books can change the world?

They certainly have changed my own world. But overall, I do think they have changed the world in multiple ways, whether on a personal level or on a more universal level. Sometimes it’s subtle, while other times, much more apparent.

If you had to choose three things to take with you to a desert island, what would they be?

I think about this question quite a bit, and it usually changes at any given moment, but as I write this, a photo of my family (parents and brother), my bed, and gasoline.

Describe The Sea Singer in three words...

Circles, songs, chickens.


Thank you so much, Shome, for being on my blog!

Check out Shome Dasgupta here: http://www.shomedome.com

Check out The Sea Singer here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/9350296357/ref=x_gr_w_bb?ie=UTF8&tag=x_gr_w_bb_uk-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=6738


Until next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment